Spam Musubi

To be totally honest, I thought Spam Musubi {pronounced as moo-soo-bee} originated in Japan. You know, being the country who makes everything in sushi form. It never occurred to me that this is a popular Hawaiian snack food!

Spam is so popular in Hawaii that it was dubbed “The Hawaiian Steak”. Hmmnn.. reminds me of a scene in my favorite tv series Hawaii Five-O.

I’ve had my share of SPAM memories…Spam-Si-Log tops the list. That’s fried SPAM, garlic rice or Sinangag and sunny-side up egg or itLog. This has also been a favorite comfort food too specially when I’m too tired or too lazy to cook.

As with any other dishes, there are lots of versions of Spam Musubi. Some marinates the SPAM and grills it instead of frying. Some puts egg and a vegetable in between.  I guess this adds some magical flavor. I say, the nori sheets and the furikake does the trick for me.

I love SPAM.

If only I live in the US, I would enter the SPAM Dish This! recipe contest.

Spam Musubi

Ingredients
  • 2 cups cooked Sushi Rice {Click for Sushi Rice recipe}
  • 3 SPAM slices {I used the Bacon flavor}
  • Nori sheets
  • Furikake
  • Teriyaki Sauce for dipping {Click for Easy Teriyaki Sauce recipe}
Directions
  1. Fry SPAM slices until golden brown.
  2. I used a small plastic sushi mold to shape my Sushi Rice into bite-sized rectangles. I just filled it with rice and then pressed to lock in the shape of rice.
  3. Cut SPAM into the size of the rectangular roll of rice
  4. Sprinkle Furikake on top of each rice rectangles.
  5. Put SPAM pieces on top and some at the bottom of each rice rectangles.
  6. Cut Nori sheets into 3 inch by ½ inch pieces.
  7. Wrap each musubi with nori “belt”.
  8. Serve with Teriyaki Sauce on the side.

Comments

1. Juliana says

Oh!  We had these when in Maui in the beginning of the year…they look delicious.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week Peachkins :-)

2. says

This is a beautiful spam musubi, I used to live in Hawaii where we ate spam often. Now I just keep it in my hurricane prepardness box and we eat it (after hurricane season) in fried rice or fried with eggs. Have a nice day!

3. says

Sushi  can be this beatuiful, I don’t know. sure love to try them. I will put the hearth and soul hop new button in side.Thanks for sharing with Heart and soul blog op

4. Anonymous says

Hawaii being the Spam heaven and for sure Musabi is a very popular treat.  This musabi look very professional and looks like prepared by Chef Peachy-moto. :)

5. Anonymous says

that was a very nice presentation sis, i’ll give it a try :) bago manigas yun wasabe paste sa ref. ko ahaha

6. Super Mommy Jem says

Very nice food and neat presentation. My mom-in-law loves to make sushi only in special occasions. I think I can do this on weekends.. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

7. grace says

spam is terribly underused and underappreciated here in the u.s., but i like it a lot.  this is a terrific recipe!

8. Divine says

looks yummy i will definitely try this one quick question though! pano mo ni wrap ang nori para di agad matangal?

9. says

ikaw pala yun! thanks for visiting and commenting in my blog *kinilig ako!* haha! anyway, I can’t find rice wine vinegar in the grocery.. same ba yun sa rice wine? or white wine vinegar?