I have a love-hate relationship with oatmeal.
There are times when I love it too much that I begin making plans to eat it for breakfast every single day.
And I mean every. single. day.
This usually begins on a monday and by the fourth day which is thursday, that’s when I begin to hate it. I guess it’s because I get tired of the taste when I eat it daily. So as much as possible, I try to make variations on my oatmeal.
Last monday, I prepared four variations which I put in jars. Sort of, like the instant oatmeal you buy at the supermarket — only better because I get to control all the flavorings and the sugar.
First up is the Chocolate Lover’s Oatmeal ~ This is made with instant oatmeal, chocolate chips, cocoa powder and almonds.
I just added 1 cup of boiling water.
Since I used instant oatmeal, it was done in a matter of a few seconds. The result is a nutty, healthier, chocolatier, Champorado!
As if i didn’t already know! Now, I’m thinking I should’ve made this with hot milk instead of water for that extra creamy taste.
- ½ cup instant oats
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp almonds
- ½ tbsp chocolate chips
- sugar or artificial sweetener to taste
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- Assemble all ingredients in a glass jar or other microwave/hot water-safe container.
- Microwave: When ready to eat, add 1 cup water or milk depending on desired texture. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. Stir. Add sugar and salt to taste.
- Hot water: When ready to eat, to 1 cup boiled water depending on desired texture. Stir and let sit until desired consistency is reached. Add sugar and salt to taste.