Homemade Dulce de Leche
- 2 cans condensed milk, labels removed
- 1 pot of water
- Place 2 cans of condensed milk in a pot and cover it with water by 1 to 2 inches.
- Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low for a nice slow simmer.
- Simmer the cans for 2 hours for a lighter golden dulce de leche and 3 hours for a deeper color and flavor.
- Check from time to time and replenish water as needed. The cans should always be submerged in the water.
- After the simmering time, turn off the heat and allow the cans to come to room temperature.
- I usually let it cool overnight.
- Open the can and transfer to a clean container. It will keep in the fridge for a month.