I have this thing with roasted chickens. I find it very suitable for family sunday night dinners or romantic dinners.I don’t know why but it somehow evokes a feeling of bonding but not today. I cooked this for lunch. My mom doesn’t like roasted chickens –err–maybe she just doesn’t like MY roasted chicken..heehee.
It would be very romantic to pair this with wine..only my peanutbutter♥’s at work and I would be cooking this for his dinner later. This recipe is very easy but the combination of the ingredients gives the chicken a lot of flavor. Its nice to combine some vegetables and let it roast with the chicken but I prefer to cook the veggies separately.
Roasted Chicken with Lemon, Garlic and Rosemary
- 4 pieces of quartered chicken
- 5 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp dried rosemary [♥ I gotta start my herb garden, fresh herbs taste so much better!]
- Salt and pepper
- ♥buttered veggies:
- baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and garlic powder
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 beef cube
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Combine rosemary, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest in a large ovenproof dish. Place the chicken in this dish and turn to coat by mixture.
- Cover and let it sit in the fridge. You can let it sit for 2 hours before cooking but the longer the better so I let my chicken soak in the mixture overnight.
- Roast chicken in an oven at 250ºC for 20 minutes. Then reduce temperature to 190ºC. This will make the skin crispy.
- Baste chicken with drippings from time to time.
- Continue baking until chicken is golden brown.
- For the buttered veggies: wash the baby potatoes and cut it in half. Boil potatoes until tender. Remove ends of string beans. Melt butter in a nonstick pan and toss the potatoes and the string beans until beans are cooked.Sprinkle some salt and garlic powder.
- For the gravy: heat butter in a pan with the garlic.Let garlic infuse butter with flavor. Make roux, by adding flour and continue stirring until roux is golden brown in color. Add beef cube and continue stirring.Pour in water and bring it to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve roasted chicken with buttered vegetables and gravy.