Calamansi Bars on Brown Butter Shortbread
For the Brown Butter Crust
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup calamansi juice
- 6 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- powder sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C) and butter a 9 x 13 in baking pan.
- To make the crust, sift the icing sugar, flour, and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer. With the paddle attachment, mix on a low speed to combine.
- Brown the butter by cooking it long enough to “toast”
- Add the butter and mix just until a dough forms. Put the dough in the pan and press it evenly into the base.
- Bake the crust about 30-35 minutes, until it evenly colors and is a deep golden brown.
- While the crust is baking, make the filling. Combine the flour and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the calamansi juice and mix to dissolve the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and the egg yolk with salt. Add the eggs into the lemon and sugar mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Once the crust is golden, pull the oven rack out of the oven slightly and pour the filling into the crust while it is still in the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 F (145C) and bake for 30 minutes or until the center is just set.
- Allow the bars to cool completely, then chill well in the fridge before cutting. Dust with icing sugar before serving.