Strips of beef in rich sweet-salty brown sauce and crunchy young corn, perfect over steaming white rice.
That was a quick Monday.
It was busy. I got up late and missed my planned “morning work-out”. It was all good because I was able to work out last Sunday before going to church.
There was chaos in my brain as I plan out the week’s menu, the household chores, and the backlogs from last Christmas! ARRGH! I should’ve done it last Sunday. But, you know, I feel like Sundays are made for church, and family day, and rest, and movie nights.
Sometimes, that’s the hassle when you’re a work-at-home-mom. It gets difficult to separate work from mommy duties, wifey duties, and household chores because they are all there in front of you… waiting which one you’ll take on first.
Ah, that’s the time when our ability to multitask comes in…. and before I know it, 80% of it is done. The 20% that’s left will be carried over the next day.
This Beef with Young Corn is part of my Monday. It’s one of those little things that made it fantastic. peanutbutter♥ loved it. Ykaie loved it too! I actually saved some for her baon to school today.
And you know what, I kinda broke my no rice diet and gave in.. but just a little. That rich, brown sauce is just too hard to resist.
Today, I woke up at my usual 3am. I thought about going back to bed but weighed myself instead. I was thinking I didn’t lose any weight this week with all that I was eating. I was surprised to find out that I am now down to 180lbs!
I lost three more pounds. Wow. That got me more inspired to work out this morning.
So here’s my progress so far…
Start Date: January 9, 2016
Current Date: January 26, 2016
- Starting Weight: 185lbs
- Current Weight: 180 lbs
- Goal Weight: 130 lbs
Meanwhile, I suggest you make this for lunch or dinner. It’s so easy to make and it takes so little time to cook it. I guarantee your family will love it.
I used fresh young corn in making this but you can use canned if fresh is not available.
Happy start of the week.
- 500g beef sirloin, tendons removed and cut into strips
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1½ tbsp liquid seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups fresh young corn, cut in half (you can use canned if you can't find fresh ones)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions
- In a large bowl, combine beef sirloin, hoisin sauce, liquid seasoning, salt, and pepper. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, heat oil in a pan. Sauté garlic and onion until onion becomes translucent.
- Add beef mixture including marinade, if there's any left. Continue sautéeing until beef becomes brown and cooked through. The marinade will form a super thick sauce so make sure you're cooking this on medium heat or the sauce will evaporate.
- Add young corn and water. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in cornstarch-water mixture, make sure it's mixed well.
- Stir beef until sauce thickens. Simmer for a few seconds more.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve with steaming hot rice.