- Fresh small shrimps (head-on)
- Cooked rice
- Begin by preparing the shrimps, removing the heads while leaving the shells intact.
- In a clean bowl, combine the shrimps, salt, and cooked rice. The rice acts as a fermentation medium.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly, ensuring that the shrimps are evenly coated with salt and rice.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean and airtight container, firmly pressing it down to eliminate any air pockets.
- Seal the container tightly and allow the mixture to ferment for at least three days. For a stronger flavor profile, extend the fermentation period.
- Once the fermentation process is complete, your Burong Hipon is ready to be savored. The condiment can be stored in the refrigerator for several weeks.