I hope you had a wonderful Father’s Day. How did you celebrate Father’s Day, anyway? Did you fire up the grill and had a barbecue? or did you you go out to dad’s favorite restaurant? As for me, father’s day was spent just like any other normal day would because as you know the man of the house is working away. My father went on his normal schedule of watching cockfights and my brother, well, he spent it with his kids and ‘so-called’ wife.
So instead of going out or firing up the grill for some steak and ribs, I decided to do the opposite. I cut back on meat. Because that’s all I can do…cut back.
See? I can never EVER be a vegetarian. I love meat too much. I guess that’s also one of the reasons why I’m having a really hard time doing meatless mondays posts….. which is one of my goals for the following week, by the way.
Instead of the usual chunk of rib eye or filet mignon, I opted for Tofu Steak. This dish is rich in protein but has less fat and cholesterol because I used just a small amount of lean ground beef and shiitake mushroom to achieve a full flavor.
I also used lite soy sauce which is 50% less sodium.
These dried shiitakes were bought from the grocery and rehydrated in water before they were sliced and added to the steak sauce. A pack is actually cheaper than I thought — six dried mushrooms for ₱24. And that’s actually a lot after you’ve sliced it.
I don’t know if my peanutbutter♥ will like this recipe because this is something I haven’t made for him yet but as for Ykaie… w-ell…she doesn’t really like tofu at this stage of her life.
I really hope you like it, though. Thanks for dropping by today.
- 1 block of firm tofu, sliced
- 200g lean ground beef
- 6 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup lite soysauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp rice wine
- 3 slices of ginger
- 2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 5 tbsp cornstarch with a pinch of salt and pepper for dredging
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- canola oil for frying
- In a sauce pan, heat 1 tbsp canola oil and sauté garlic and ginger until the garlic is brown on the edges.
- Add ground beef and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in water, soy sauce and sliced shiitake mushroms. Stir.
- Add brown sugar. Stir. Add rice wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cornstarch-water mixture to thicken the sauce.
- Let it simmer for around 20 seconds, turn off heat and set aside. Your “Steak Sauce” is now done.
- Dredge your sliced tofu with cornstarch and fry until brown.
- Set it on a plate and put around 3 tablespoon of your “steak sauce” on top. Serve while hot.