Finally! An update.
I’m sorry I’ve been sort of out the past week. I haven’t been feeling well and a bit busy helping sis with our annual Halloween party which we do in advance to make way for any Halloween activity our invited relatives have planned in theirs.
You already know how much I love Halloween. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love the month of October because of it. Not only does it allow me to play with my food, it also allows me to serve gory dishes to my family. I guess I haven’t been able to post as much gory and spooky recipes as much as I had planned but I’m hoping I could make it up in the coming days. I only have about nine days and I’m crossing my fingers I could make around five more.
One of my best Halloween recipe last year is this Squid Ink Linguine. Since we love pasta dishes in this house, I thought I should make this Halloween Pasta Recipe series a yearly thing.
This year, I want something a bit spooky with a tinge of yucky but I’m aiming for something that will please a pesto-loving kid named Ykaie.
And so, today for lunch I made this Swamp Pesto with Severed Fingers.
It does look like something that came from a swamp, right? I initially told Ykaie I put “swamp sauce“over the pasta but the moment she smelled it… this pasta knew she’s a goner in a few minutes. Of course, Ykaie didn’t eat the severed fingers, not because she finds it scary or yucky…but it’s just because she doesn’t like ketchup.
So there. I hope you find this scary enough or delicious enough to grace your halloween table. I’m sure you and your guest will find this dish unforgettable..
- 250g Linguine noodles
- bottled or homemade pesto
- 10 pcs chicken hotdogs
- 1-2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 large white onion
- parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- Green food color (optional)
- Cook Linguine noodles according to package direction but add a few drops of green food color in your pasta water before boiling. This is optional but will definitely add some "icky" and "eww' factor when you serve the pasta.
- Set aside when cooked.
- You can use a ready made pesto sauce or you can make a homemade one. Click here for my pesto recipe.
- For the "severed fingers", cut chicken hotdogs in half.
- In the rounded end of the chicken hotdog make a shallow square-shaped cut to make the fingernails and make three small cuts in the middle part.
- Boil this until cooked.
- Cut your white onions into small square pieces to resemble finger nails.
- Microwave this for about 30 seconds in a shallow plate with a bit of water to cook it.
- Squeeze a small dollop of ketchup to make bloody nails and attach the cooked white onion pieces to make it look like bloody finger nails.
- In a small pan, heat pesto and add cooked pasta. Sprinkle with salt and parmesan cheese to taste.
- Transfer in a serving dish and garnish with your "severed fingers"
- Serve with a devilish grin (evil laugh)