This is my ultimate comfort food paired with steamed rice. And is the easiest Filipino dish to make mainly because it has only two ingredients: chicken and salt, making it easy on the budget as well.I made it for last night’s dinner.
Pinaupong Manok or Sitting Chicken is named as such because it is made to sit on a bed of salt. It is then cooked on a very low fire. The salt then draws out the chicken’s oil and juices and is cooked on the steam that it generates giving the chicken a very natural flavor.
This is served with a dunking/dipping sauce made with soy sauce and calamansi. You can also add siling labuyo/chili pepper to make it spicy. The chicken drippings is also very tasty and is perfect over steaming hot rice.Print
Pinaupong Manok (Sitting Chicken)
- 5 tbsp Rock Salt
- 1 whole Chicken
for the dipping sauce:
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- juice of 3 calamansi
- Rub the skin of the chicken with rock salt.
- Put whatever rock salt is left at the bottom of the pot.
- Put chicken inside the pot.
- Cook in a very slow fire for around 45 minutes.
- Serve with the mixture of soy sauce and calamansi as dipping sauce.