Bitter melon is known for, well, being bitter that’s why most kids hate it. But proper way of cooking it may actually take off some of the bitterness and turn it into a delightful dish. And this is one of them…a favorite.
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves of garlic,minced
1 medium onion,chopped
1 large bittermelon
1 ½ cups water
500g beef sirloin, cut into strips
¼ cup tausi (salted black beans)
1 tbsp cornstarch,mixed with
2 tbsp water
4 tbsp soysauce
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut bitter melon in half lengthwise.Remove seeds using spoon. Make sure you take out all the white stuff .
- Slice it diagonally and put into a bowl. Smother it with salt,make sure each slice gets some salt into them and let it stand for about 5 minutes. Rinse it off with water and set aside.
- Sauté garlic and onion in heated oil.
- When the onions are transluscent, add beef and stir for a few seconds.
- Add water and simmer for a few minutes until beef is tender.
- Add tausi, soy sauce,sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add bitter melon and simmer for four minutes.Stir.
- Stir in water and cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Have a great weekend everyone!
An entry for and.