This dish is also called Heart-y Lumpia because it’s made from Banana heart. You know how we sometimes get tired of eating meat? That’s the main reason why I tried this recipe. I wanted to incorporate more vegetables into our daily menu and Banana Heart Lumpia is one good way to do it.
I wasn’t surprised that this came out good at all. I love banana hearts, specially if its in Kare-Kare. Now, I’m given another reason to love it!
Banana Heart Lumpia
- 500g banana heart
- 250g ground pork
- 1 onion, chopped
- cooking oil for frying
- 2 cloves garlic,minced
- 1¼ cups tomato sauce
- ¼ cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- lumpia wrapper
- Clean banana heart by removing the first red layers. You would wanna see the yellow layers before yuo start slicing.
- Slice banana hearts thinly. You should do this when you are ready to cook it because it turns black if you let it sit sliced for a long period of time.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan.Sauté garlic and onion until onion becomes transluscent.
- Add ground pork and banana heart
- Pour in water and tomato sauce.
- Mix well.Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until mixture is almost dry.Stir from time to time.
- When the banana heart mixture is done. Remove it from heat and let it cool.
- Place around 1-2 tbsp of mixture at the center of one end of a lumpia wrapper.Fold the left and right part of the wrapper towards the center and roll it up.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- This is best dipped in sweet chili sauce.