There are many names as there are versions of this dish. This is commonly called Ginisang Munggo or Sautéed Mung Beans or Mung Beans Stew. I call my version Munggo-nisa. Munggo came from mung beans and nisa, came from Longganisang Macao [Chinese sausage].
This version of Ginisang Munggo has fried slices of Chinese sausage which compliments the soup really well. peanutbutter♥ doesn’t like chinese sausage in this dish, so what we usually do is add the fried sausage slices upon serving.
I found the other recipes that I have using free pdf download. While this chinese sausage-mung beans thing, I discovered through a professor back in college. This was his favorite viand.Since then, it became a staple between me and sis….
MUNGGONISA -Ginisang Munggo with Longganisang Macao
- 2 cups green mung beans;boiled in 6 cups water
- 250g pork, cubed
- 1 cup flaked smoked fish [tinapa]
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cups bitter melon leaves
- 2 pcs Chinese sausage, sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or
- Salt to taste
- Fry sliced chinese sausage and set aside.
- In a pot, sauté garlic, onion and tomato in oil until onion becomes translucent.
- Add pork and fry until a little brown.
- Pour in boiled beans including soup.
- Add flaked smoked fish and simmer for 5 minutes.Add more water if it becomes too thick.
- Season with fish sauce or salt.
- Add bitter melon leaves and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Serve hot topped with the fried chinese sausage slices.