I was thinking about lolling at the beach, soaking in early morning sunshine, grains of sands on my feet, and the lingering smell of salty water when I concocted this oatmeal flavor for my DIY Instant Oatmeal Jars.
I have this thing about Piñacoladas. There’s just something about pineapples and coconut that just feels so right when they come together. It always reminds me of the water and of swimming and brine-y air and wet hugs from my daughter.
Speaking of which, today is the first day of Purple’s swimming class. She already took the toddler class last year so I figured she can do the Basic class for this year. I still got surprised when she was able to swim without armfloats or anything that she can hold on to, though. She is a brave little girl and I am a proud mommy.
I wish I could say the same for myself. I love going in the water but I don’t know how to swim. I could float for five minutes but that’s it. Learning how to swim is totally one of my frustrations.
I’m always glad I could sit it out when I don’t feel like it and sip fresh cold Piñacolada at the bar while gossiping with my sister or my cousin.
Piñacoladas are sort of a comfort on hot humid nights at the beach.
This oatmeal, however, serve as perk-me-ups on mornings when you feel like staying in bed for the rest of the week.
- ½ cup instant oats
- 1 tbsp chopped dried pineapples
- 1 tbsp coconut flakes or dessicated coconut
- sugar or artificial sweetener to taste
- 1 cup boiling water
- Assemble all ingredients in a glass jar or other microwave/hot water-safe container.
- Microwave: When ready to eat, add 1 cup water or milk depending on desired texture. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. Stir. Add sugar and salt to taste.
- Hot water: When ready to eat, to 1 cup boiled water depending on desired texture. Stir and let sit until desired consistency is reached. Add sugar to taste.