Did you know it was Pi (π) Day yesterday?? Technically it was the annual celebration commemorating the mathematical constant π (pi). Because, you know, it was March 14 (or 3/14 in the month/day date format) and 3, 1, and 4 are the three most significant digits of π in the decimal form.
I saw a lot of pies in my facebook wall and I just happen to make this Key Lime Pie the other day without any idea it was going to be Pi(e) Day yesterday. I just feel like eating something rich, creamy, and tart.
Key Lime Pie reminds me of the Summer that is almost here. It reminds me of sunrise……. and of cool, crisp, afternoon air.
Life has been really busy once again and I just want to have something that could fuel my thinking while reminding me that I have to take a break, sit, relax.. and let my mind wander to where it wants to go.
A slice of this creamy but tart Key Lime Pie is just the perfect thing that does it.
This Key Lime Pie is as sweet, creamy, and dense as Creme Caramel (leche flan) but has that tartness from the lime that balances the flavor into one refreshing dessert. It’s actually one of my favorite desserts, specially if what I just had was too heavy for my palate and tummy.
I thought it would be just as perfect a recipe for today as well as I share some great news with you.
It’s finally happening!! At last, after more than a year of waiting, what used to be our internet shop is gonna be reconstructed into our home! peanutbutter♥ and I have been working at it for over a year now. It felt like we’ve been waiting for a decade. Now, we are just so excited that reconstruction will finally begin on monday.
I’m really really EXCITED!!
I’m most probably overwhelmed too with everything that has been happening in our lives lately. It’s a combination of good things and bad things but mostly of good things.
This is what our small computer shop looks like. We opened it in 2008 and closed it in 2012. We’re having it reconstructed to turn into the photo on the right. What do you think ? I can’t really think about anything else right now except what “The Peach Kitchen” would look like in the flesh! (I’ll be posting more about this at my mommy blog, http://www.mommypeach.com)
It would be a long five or six months of waiting before it’s completely finished. I’m just sooooo happy it’s starting in a few days.
Thanks for dropping by and I hope you’re having a good day today.
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 300mL can and 1 168mL can of sweetened condensed milk, (I used Alaska)
- ¾ cup lime juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- whipped cream and lime slices for garnish
- Preheat oven into 350ºF/ 180ºC
- In your 9-inch pie plate, mix crushed graham cracker, melted butter, sugar, and lime zest.
- Firmly press the crumb mixture into the bottom and along the sides of your pie dish.
- Bake it for 10-15 minutes until the crust starts browning. remove and let it cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, lime juice, egg yolks, and lime zest until smooth.
- Pour mixture into your cooled crust and bake in the oven at 325ºF/ 160ºC for 25-30 minutes.
- The edges should be set but the center should be jiggly. Remove from the oven and chill for 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream.
- I keep mine chilled overnight and then eat it the following day.