Summer is definitely here.
Summer means salads, eating healthier, going swimming, and running more. I was trying to eat healthier during the start of the year but I’ve failed miserably. There were too many family occasions, too many restaurant invites, yummy food in friend’s houses, too many barbecues, and too many delicious dishes that you simply must eat with rice.
Plus, our bonding time is never without food.
Last wednesday, I reminded myself of some goals I have for this year that I hope to accomplish.
I think I’ve already shared with you last week about my plan to low carb and portion control my way into losing weight by this week. I started last wednesday. I’ve been doing hip hop abs again (with Ykaie this morning) and has avoided white rice for four days now. Woohoo!!
Oatmeal has yet again found it’s way into my breakfast. Since I am trying to avoid sugar as much as I can, I let go of condensed milk. This is the first time I’m eating my oatmeal without it. But you know how I hate oatmeal that’s devoid of flavor. I made this oatmeal with my recent favorite dessert in mind : Key Lime Pie.
This has the familiar tartness, sweetness, and creaminess of Key Lime Pie but all the healthful goodness of oatmeal.
Just right to start my day with.Print
Key Lime Pie Oatmeal
- ½ cup rolled oats or instant oats
- 1 cup milk, I used Blue Diamond Almond Coconut Milk Blend
- 1 tbsp honey, more if you like it sweeter
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- graham cracker, as garnish
- In a small bowl combine plain yogurt and lime zest. Set aside in the fridge to chill.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup milk and rolled oats and bring to a boil. Simmer until cooked. If you’re using instant oats, then just combine heated milk and instant oatmeal.
- Stir in honey and lime juice.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with chilled lime yogurt and crumbled graham crackers.
- Enjoy while hot.