I like my Chicken Curry with fresh coconut milk. I don’t like using canned or powder. I like it squeezed out of shredded old coconut a few minutes before I cook so I can get that sweet, creamy coconut-ty to-die-for curry gravy. I am crazy about dishes that uses coconut milk and I feel so lucky that I found this store in the wet market which can do that for me. You just have to choose the size of the coconut, add ₱2 to the total prize, and they will machine-squeeze that coconut right in front of you. You get your coconut milk, whole and fresh.
This is an easy everyday chicken curry in a mild coconut milk gravy. It goes great with rice, flat breads, and naan.
So how do you eat your chicken curry? If I’m with family and I’m eating rice, I’d probably smother it with the sauce. I’d also slurp a bit of the sauce on my spoon…kind of like– soup.
If I’m eating bread or naan, I’d probably dip my bread long enough so it could soak up all those wonderful yellow sauce. I’d probably accidentally dip my fingers in the process and lick it after eating the bread.
If I’m with you,well, I would all be prim and proper and use a fork with my bread. Naaaah, I’d probably do the same as what I’d do when I’m with family and then ask you not to judge…hee. We’re friends , right? I know you won’t judge me. Hey, I won’t judge if you lick your fingers too…
As for my chicken I like them fresh too! I buy my chicken from the local wet market or palengke where I have a suki.
♥ If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and tag @thepeachkitchen on Instagram (OR hashtag it #thepeachkitchen). I’d love to see what you cook!
- 600g chicken (thigh quarters), cut into pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium carrot, cubed
- 10 pieces baby potatoes, peeled and halved
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup thin coconut milk (pangalawang piga)
- 1½ tbsp yellow curry powder
- fish sauce to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the potatoes and carrots, set aside.
- Sauté garlic and onion until onion is translucent. Add chicken and fry it for about a minute or two.
- Pour in thin coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes and then Pour in coconut milk.
- Add curry powder and mix well.
- Simmer until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened into a gravy.
- Add potatoes and carrots.Simmer for 1 minute.
- Add fish sauce to taste
- Add bell pepper, simmer for 30 seconds and then turn off heat.
- Serve with steamed rice, flat breads, or nan