Butterfly Pea tea, also known as Clitoria ternatea tea, is a captivating herbal infusion that has gained popularity worldwide for its stunning blue color and numerous health benefits. Made from the flowers of the butterfly pea plant, this vibrant tea has been enjoyed for centuries in Southeast Asia, particularly in Thailand and Vietnam. Let’s delve into the fascinating world of Butterfly Pea tea and discover what makes it so special.
Origins and Appearance
Native to Southeast Asia, the butterfly pea plant is a climbing vine that produces beautiful blue flowers. The petals are vivid indigo in color and resemble the wings of butterflies, hence the name. These delightful flowers are traditionally used to make tea, which showcases their stunning natural hue.
Apart from its mesmerizing color, Butterfly Pea tea offers a range of health benefits. Here are some of its most notable qualities:
- Rich in Antioxidants: The tea contains flavonoids that have powerful antioxidant properties, helping to protect our cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Promotes Healthy Hair and Skin: Butterfly Pea tea is believed to improve hair growth while adding strength and shine. It is also known to have anti-aging properties, assisting in maintaining healthy, youthful-looking skin.
- Boosts Brain Health: Some studies suggest that Butterfly Pea tea may enhance cognitive function and memory due to its ability to support healthy blood flow to the brain.
- Aids Digestion: This tea has been traditionally used to alleviate digestive issues, including bloating and constipation.
- Relaxation and Stress Relief: Butterfly Pea tea is renowned for its calming effects and has been used as a natural stress reliever for centuries.
Preparation and Serving
Butterfly Pea tea can be enjoyed hot or cold, making it a versatile beverage for any season. Here’s a simple preparation method:
- Boil water and remove from heat.
- Add a handful of dried Butterfly Pea flowers to a tea infuser or pot.
- Pour the hot water over the flowers and let steep for 5-7 minutes.
- As the tea infuses, it will transform into a vivid blue color.
- Remove the flowers and serve the tea as is or add a splash of lemon or honey for taste.
- For a refreshing twist, let the tea cool down and serve over ice with a sprig of mint.
Enjoy the mesmerizing blue hue of Butterfly Pea tea and savor its unique flavor while experiencing its many health benefits!