I finally made Mayak Eggs! I’ve been wanting to make this for quite sometime now but I always forget.. heehee. Mayak eggs, or Korean Marinated Eggs, is a popular Korean side dish (banchan) made by marinating soft boiled eggs in a soy-based marinade. It’s name literally translates to “Drug Eggs” due to its addictive flavor and umami goodness.
And I’m so glad I finally tried because we all love it! I let it marinate overnight and the next day I had a delicious, budget-friendly dinner.
MAYAK EGGS RECIPE VIDEO
It’s so easy to make. All you need to do is combine the marinade ingredients and marinate the eggs for at least 6 hours. Ideal is overnight to make it more flavorful.
How To Cook Eggs to Get That Jammy Yolk?
I used large egg from the fridge and cooked it in boiling water for 6 minutes. Then I shocked it in ice water to stop the cooking process.
How Long Do Mayak Eggs Last?
Mayak Eggs will stay good for up to 1 week, however, it is best to enjoy them within 3 to 4 days.
I used regular soy sauce to make this but I want to use a premium soy sauce next time. I think it’ll be more flavorful.Print
Mayak Eggs (Korean Marinated Eggs)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 stalks green onion, chopped
- 1 siling labuyo, chopped (or more if you prefer it spicy)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 tbsp honey
- Boil The Eggs: Bring a pot of water to a boil and gently place the eggs in the boiling water. Let the eggs boil for 6 minutes for the perfect soft boiled eggs.
- After 6 minutes, remove the eggs from the boiling water and shock them in iced water. Let the eggs cool completely.
- Make the Mayak Marinade: While the eggs are cooling, make the mayak marinade. Combine everything except the eggs in a bowl (onion, garlic, green onion, chili pepper, sesame seeds, soy sauce, honey, and water). Mix until well combined.
- Peel the eggs. Place them in an airtight container and pour the mayak marinade over the eggs. Place the lid on the container and let the eggs marinade in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight for best flavor.
- Enjoy the eggs over rice with some sauce and some crushed crispy nori on the side.