We usually use beef neck for these kind of dishes. Reason is, even if you have to boil beef neck for a couple of hours it is very flavorful. This is due to the marbling of fat and tendons within the meat.
Picadillo (Soup)/ Stewed Beef in Tamarind Broth
- 500 g beef neck, cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ kg unripe tamarind, boiled and juices squeezed out or
- a packet of instant tamarind soup base
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 carrot cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloved garlic, minced
- 1 tomato,diced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 pieces finger chili (siling haba)
- moringa leaves (malunggay,optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil beef neck for a couple of hours until meat is tender. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot. Sauté onions, garlic and tomatoes until onions are translucent and tomatoes are wilted.
- Pour in the beef neck pieces together with the stock you boiled it in.
- Simmer for a few minutes then add the tamarind juice.
- Add potatoes and tomatoes. Simmer until veggies are done.
- Add salt and pepper. Stir.Add finger chili and moringa leaves.
- Simmer for 30 seconds.
- Serve hot as soup or with rice.
Happy Weekend everyone!