I know I said White Chicken Adobo but it doesn’t really look that much white. What I mean by white is that it doesn’t have any soy sauce like the usual Adobo.
Adobo is really a Spanish word for seasoning or marinade but Adobo or Philippine Adobo, if you want to call it that, refers to a really popular dish of chicken, pork or a combination of the two or even vegetables slowly cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf, and black peppercorns.
This recipe isn’t for you if you don’t like lemongrass. I’m not so much into lemongrass but I loved the outcome of this recipe. It was so good with hot steamed rice and fish sauce. I ate more rice than I was supposed to.
This is P5 worth of Lemongrass. Lemongrass [Tanglad] is a kind of grass that is used as an herb mostly in Asian cooking. It has a citrusy flavor that flavors both sweet and savory dishes. I don’t remember this was ever used in a viand cooked in the house. My nanay [mom] is not into experimenting. What she cooks are those tried and tested dishes which gets a little tiring at times. Don’t get me wrong. I love my mom and I love the food that she cooks but my palate is sometimes craving for something a little different. This is why I’m lovin’ a recipe like this……….a tried and tested recipe with a twist.Print
White Chicken Adobo with Lemongrass
- 8 chicken pieces
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp peppercorns,crushed
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- 3 pieces of lemongrass,cleaned, peeled and uncut
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté garlic until brown.
- Add the chicken pieces,bay leaf, lemongrass and peppercorns.
- Pour in ½ cup of water and the vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.Add sugar and stir. Turn off heat.
- Heat a pan and transfer the chicken pieces, leaving the sauce it was boiled in
- Lightly fry in its own fat. When it turns a little brown, pour in the sauce it was boiled in and add the remaining 1 ½ cups of water.
- Scrape the drippings from the pan so it mixes with the sauce because that’s where some of the flavor and color comes from.
- Stir in the fish sauce.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the chicken’s done and you’re left with a thick sauce.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Have a great Tuesday!