Truth is……. I love dressing up my oatmeal more than I love dressing up myself.
I mean, let’s admit it. Oatmeal is boring. No one wants to dance with a boring oatmeal at the prom.
But once it gets a makeover…..BANG!
She becomes Ms. Popularity.
So today I had this for brunch.
And yeah, I’m taking the 30-day oatmeal breakfast challenge…
Since I cooked two servings, I’ll put what’s left of it in the freezer and dress it up differently tomorrow…
This is deliciously good oatmeal, I tell ya…
The original Bananas Foster is actually a dessert that is made up of bananas caramelized in melted brown sugar and butter but banana liqueur and dark rum is added. It is either served with ice cream, waffles or crepes or it can also be eaten by itself.
Bananas Foster Oatmeal
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- 1½ cup + ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium bananas, sliced and divided
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
♥for the banana-walnut topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rough chopped walnuts
- remaining sliced bananas
- Combine milk, water, ⅓ of the sliced bananas, salt, cinnamon and oats in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil with constant stirring to prevent it from sticking in the bottom of the pot and burning.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes, while stirring constantly.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk and turn heat up to med-high until oatmeal is bubbling again.
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Combine butter and brown sugar in a small pan over medium heat, stirring until butter and sugar are melted.
- Add remaining banana slices to caramelize.
- Add walnuts between banana slices.
- Once they start to brown and caramelize, flip the bananas over and cook until both sides are caramelized.
- Divide oatmeal into two bowls and top with the caramelized bananas.