I love Choc-Nut.
Who doesn’t? It is one of my go-to comfort food and one of my favorite snacks when watching a movie or tv at home.
I guess you’re not a true blue Pinoy if you don’t like Choc-Nut………… because in the Philippines, Choc-Nut is an icon.
Choc-Nut is made with ground peanuts, milk powder, cocoa and sugar. It is grainy and powdery, sort of like polvoron but not totally like it because it packs moisture, making you feel like it melts in your mouth while your eating it.
So a dessert with chocolate and choc-nut seemed like a fantastic idea.
Choc-Nut Walnut Bars
- 1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 tbsp strong coffee or water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chocolate chips or coarsely chopped chocolate bar
- ¼ cup crushed Choc-Nut
- 12 pieces whole Choc-Nut
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Combine butter and cocoa powder in a small bowl, and place over a pot of simmering water. Make sure that the simmering water down not touch the bottom of the bowl. Add the coffee or water and stir to melt the ingredients.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs and the sugar. Add the vanilla extract. When the butter and chocolate have melted and come together, slowly stir the chocolate mixture into the sugar mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder, crushed choc-nut and salt. Stir to combine. Fold in the nuts, saving a small handful for the top of the brownies if you like.
- Pour the batter in the pan, sprinkle with chocolate chips or chocolate chunks and remaining nuts. Bake for 18-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Cut whole Choc-Nut into pieces and push it into the top before cutting it into bars.