It’s the holidays and I couldn’t get enough seeing all those reds and greens, christmas lanterns, and blinking Christmas lights. With a Snowman theme in mind for our Noche Buena, though, I am trying to steer myself clear away from the reds and greens and think about whites and blues while I make my list of what to make.
But on Christmas Day, we are back on reds and greens, hurray! I’m in charge on a couple of dishes plus the drinks. I’m absolutely sure that most of the food on our Christmas spread will be decadent, indulgent and rich. So I don’t wanna serve a heavy, sugar-laden beverage. I’m leaning towards something refreshing, a bit on the healthy side, — and of course, something red and green!
The Cherry Lime-Ade that I made several months ago would be a great fit for the Christmas theme but using the bottled maraschino cherries doesn’t seem like a good idea for the refreshing, non/less-sugary drink that I have in mind.
So this morning, I was very excited to try and make this Watermelon Lime Cooler. I made it from fresh watermelon purée, diet lemon-lime soda, and lime juice. The purpose of the diet lemon-lime soda is for the bubbles and to add a little bit of sweetness.
An alternative you can try, if you don’t want to serve anything with the word ‘diet’ to your kids, is to make your watermelon purée sweet by adding some sugar, coco sugar, or agave (whatever you prefer) and then use soda water instead of diet soda. Another alternative, is to serve this new soft drink that has less than 60 calories a bottle and without a single artificial ingredient, side by side with this mocktail.
Using fresh watermelon purée and freshly squeezed lime juice made this Watermelon Lime Cooler taste very refreshing and very natural. I gave sis a glass and she gave me her thumbs up. Looks like we’ve already found out Christmas drink.
I’m sure that cute furry reindeer there agrees with me completely. He can’t stop hugging that glass… LOL!
This Watermelon Lime Cooler can be served two ways:
- If you have few guests and want a more fabulous-looking drink, you can make this just before serving. Put 1-2 tablespoon of the watermelon puree in a glass. Put lots’ of ice and lime slices as garnish. Add lots of ice cubes or crushed ice, then pour out your soda. Add the garnish and hand out to guests. This will create a two-layer drink that is just too cute to drink!
- If you have many guests and to save you the job of making it per glass, you can just mix everything in a punch bowl including the lime slices and watermelon slices. Then have some crushed ice on the side so guest can just help themselves.
- 2 cups watermelon, cut into chunks and seeds removed
- diet lemon lime soda or soda water
- ¼ cup lime juice
- watermelon slices and lime slices for garnish
- lots of ice cubes or crushed ice
- Using a blender, purée watermelon together with some ice cubes.
- Add lime juice to this mixture. If you are using soda water, you can add sugar or any sweetener of your choice to your watermelon purée.
- Make this per glass:Put 2 tablespoons of the watermelon-lime mixture in a glass.
- Add lots of ice cubes then pour our the soda. add lime slices and watermelon slices as garnish.
- Make this in a punch bowl: Mix 2 cups watermelon puree, ¼ cup lime juice, 2L Lemon-Lime Soda, lime slices and watermelon slices in a punch bowl. Put some crushed ice on the side. Guest can get as they please.