I would like to claim that I’m making an early Valentine’s Day post today, you know, starting all the red, heart-shaped stuff before everyone could even think of Valentine’s.
But the truth is, I was just trying to think of other recipes where I can use the leftover Sugar Beets so I can appreciate it more. Yesterday was grocery day — something I love doing. The supermarket is like an amusement park for me and I could just “hang-out” there for hours checking out new products and creating recipes from my mind based on the fresh produce I see.
I bought some fresh greens — keeping in mind my goal of eating a daily salad serving–, a baguette, goat cheese, waffles, salad dressings, walnuts (’cause I’m planning to make some Walnut Shrimp) and all other basic needs and toiletries.
Today, I thought about tossing these ruby gems in salt and olive oil and roasting them in the oven. And because Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, I thought about cutting them in heart-shaped form to give them an aura of romance.
I think I kind of succeeded, don’t you think so? This is something that would be a great appetizer or snack on Valentine’s Day Dinner.
When roasted and sprinkled with salt, these heart-shaped beets tasted even sweeter♥! Creating a perfect balance with the herby goat cheese, earthy richness of the walnuts, and the earthy and muhroom-y taste of the truffle oil. I suppose these ingredients go so well together because of that one strong flavor profile that each one of them possess — and that is EARTHINESS.
So if you’re gonna ask me to describe this, I’ll probably say that this is a savory, earthy crostini romanced by a bit of sweetness.
Yeah, does this mean I am a hopeless romantic?
- 1 baguette, sliced diagonally around ½ inch thick
- 1 large sugar beets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp iodized salt
- herbed goat cheese
- truffle oil
- ½ cup walnuts
- Peel sugar beets and sliced thinly.
- use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut beets into hearts. Cut those leftover beets into cubes, you can also use that on other dishes or on the leftover baguette should you run out of those heart-shaped ones.
- Put the heart-shaped beets and the small pieces of beets in a baking pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in the oven until cooked. Remove pan.
- Put the sliced baguette in the oven and roast for about 3 minutes or until brown on the edges.
- Spread each bread generously with herbed goat cheese and top with one or two heart-shaped beets.
- Place back in the broiler for about a minute.
- Romove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped walnuts and put drops of truffle oil before serving.
- If you don't have truffle oil, you can use EVOO to drizzle before serving.