Can you believe it’s already February? Wait, what?! I haven’t even started on my New Year’s resolutions and it’s gonna be Valentine’s Day? Time is flying!
The start of February usually reminds me of strawberries…. red, plump, juicy, CHEAP strawberries! Do you know how my strawberry alarm clock rings and tell me it’s strawberry season? Well, it’s always freaking cold during January and then when the calendar hits feb, I get the feeling that somebody just turned off the air conditioner because it suddenly becomes so hot. This increase in temperature tells me Summer is just around the corner and reminds me of Baguio City, the coldest part of the country where the Strawberry farms are located.
And strawberry season starts in November up to the months of May with peaks during January to March. Long and weird associations, I know, but it’s during February that I get to buy half a kilo of strawberries for ₱100 – ₱150 here in Manila!
So if you don’t find me stuffing my face with this delicious Caramelized Strawberry S’mores, then you’re most likely going to find me dipping fresh strawberries in condensed milk.
But before I do all that, let me just eat these wonderful red gems in my oatmeal — caramelized, of course — and with a bit of chocolate chips to keep me sane.
This Strawberry oatmeal is actually a breakfast treat. Call it a breakfast-slash-dessert if you may, but it’s still breakfast. Hey, you can even serve this as valentine’s breakfast! Just cut your strawberries into heart shapes and you got yourself a romantic-looking breakfast bowl in there.
What do you think?
- ½ cup rolled oats or instant oats
- 1 tbsp condensed milk
- 1 cup water
- 4 pieces strawberries, quartered
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips
- Put the strawberries and sugar in a small skillet and heat until it caramelizes. You’ll know it has caramelized when it gives out a brownish tone and glaze. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 cup water and rolled oats and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until cooked. If you're using instant oats, then just combine boiling water and instant oatmeal.
- Stir in condensed milk.
- Top with caramelized strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Enjoy while hot.