I know you’re itching to tell me “I told you so“…. Well, you were right. Just as expected, we didn’t last with the Keto diet.
I told you it was peanutbutter♥ who suggested we should try this diet. Well, he was the first one to say we should give it up too. I guess we should blame it on the fact that we were always being invited out and eating out. It’s hard to avoid carbs and sweets when you’e out and there are no Keto alternatives you can replace it with.
So we agreed to just eat low carb and sugar-free as much as possible to maintain a healthy diet. And I’ll continue baking pastries and sweets that are low carb and sugar-free at home — especially because peanutbutter♥ has to have some kind of sweet to partner with his coffee (and he drinks his favorite brew twice a day).
Today, I’m sharing with you my first LOW CARB, KETO-FRIENDLY, SUGAR-FREE STRAWBERRY CHEESECAKE.
I used almond flour instead of crushed graham for the crust and replaced sugar with Swerve (a sweetener that’s quite great for baking). The rest of the ingredients are the same. You’ll also need to rev up your oven, get your mixing bowls, a fork and the baker’s best friend, the hand mixer. But if you don’t have one yet, relax, here’s a roundup of the top hand mixers I recently came across. Since I use a mixer in most of my recipes it’s important you have the best possible one for the right consistency. Also, while it doesn’t look quite as good, I can assure you that it tastes just like regular cheesecake, if not better.
I tell you, this Sugar-free Strawberry Cheesecake did not last long in the fridge! You know how much I love cheesecake, right?
Now what flavor should I make next?
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp erythritol, I used Swerve
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 oz (2 blocks) cream cheese
- ½ cup + 2tbsp erythritol, I used Swerve
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp erythritol, I used Swerve
- Preheat the oven to 350 º F.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, melted butter, erythritol, and vanilla extract..
- Use a fork to mix everything together and then pour the mixture into your greased springform pan.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool. Do not turn off the oven.
- Meanwhile, using a stand or electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sweetener until smooth.
- Then add in eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, and lemon extract.
- Continue to beat until creamy and combined.
- Pour filling over the crust and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Return pan to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until filling is set but still shaky in the center.
- Cool into room temperature for an hour then refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Meanwhile, while cheesecake is cooling, make the Keto Strawberry Topping
- To make the Keto Strawberry Topping: Simmer the frozen strawberries, water and sweetener in a sauce pan for 5-10 minutes. Mash the strawberries with your spatula while simmering. You can add additional water to thin it out, if you prefer a much thinner sauce.
- Cool the Keto Strawberry Topping into room temperature and top over cheesecake
- Serve chilled.
♥ If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and tag @thepeachkitchen on Instagram (OR hashtag it #thepeachkitchen). I’d love to see what you cook!