We love Pompano fish. It may be a bit pricey but when I see a fresh catch at the wet market, I can’t resist buying even half a kilo. There are times when I cook it the moment I get home but most of the time I just clean it and put it in a container to stock in the freezer. Kasi sometimes, there’s a craving for fish, diba?
Now that we are on ECQ, I put fish for stock in the freezer especially because I don’t want to cook meat and canned goods everyday for the family.
So on this lazy day when I still want to eat healthy, I just fried the pompano fish I had on hand. Then I served it with Tamarind sauce, sliced indian mango, and Salted Egg & Tomato salad.
That tamarind sauce is a thai-inspired sauce that is so good with any fried fish! Recipe is below, easiest thing to do. Just mix and boil.
TGIF! San sa bahay kayo tatambay ngayong weekend? LELz!
OTHER FISH RECIPES YOU MIGHT LOVE…Print
Fried Pompano With Tamarind Sauce + Salted Egg & Tomato
- 4 small Pompano Fish
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- green mango, julliened
- ¼ cup tamarind puree
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- fish sauce to taste (around 1 tsp)
salted egg and tomato
- 2 salted egg, mashed or chopped
- 3–4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Make the Salted Egg and Tomato: Just combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside in the fridge for later.
- Make the Tamarind Sauce: Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan and mix well. Whisk it over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and simmer until sauce thickens a little. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan. Season the fish with salt and pepper.When oil is hot, shallow fry the Pompano until it’s golden brown on both sides.
- To serve: Put the fried Pompano on a large plate. Garnish with julienned green mangoes.
- Serve with the tamarind sauce and Salted Egg and Tomato on the side.
- Enjoy with steaming hot rice.
♥ If you make this recipe, kindly snap a photo and tag @thepeachkitchen on Instagram (OR hashtag it #thepeachkitchen). I’d love to see what you cook!