Anyone who has a child (or children) knows that Fried Chicken is a regular on the lunch table. In ours, it shows up weekly and on time..heehee. Just kidding. Even I, love Fried Chicken and in as much as I would love to avoid it, I couldn’t. It’s too hard to resist. So what I do is I make an adult version of it which is the Fried Chicken Steak, made of chicken breast and without the skin on. I also make sure to fry my chicken in oil with a high smoke point.
The smoke point of an oil is the temperature at which it begins to break down into to glycerol and free fatty acids and lose nutritional value. Coconut Oil is one of the oils that has the highest smoke point and can withstand the high temperature of deep frying. It is suitable to use when frying pork chops, fish, or chicken without losing its nutritional contents.
Here in the Philippines, one of the leading brands of coconut oil for the past 50 years is Minola Coconut Oil. It is rich in LAURIC OIL that helps fight viruses and bacteria. Using it when cooking, will help boost your family’s immunity because it is “MINOLAURIC” (or full of lauric oil). It is also quite affordable making it easy for you to serve delicious and healthy dishes to your family.
In this recipe the gravy is also cooked using Minola Margarine instead of butter, resulting in a delectable and rich sauce just like when butter is used. This gravy is perfect for those with dairy allergies and for those who wants an alternative gravy with less fat and cholesterol.
I served the Fried Chicken Steak with Caramelized White Onions as a side dish and Steamed Rice mixed with Green Peas.
Of course, my daughter Ykaie preferred fried chicken legs and thigh instead of my “Fried Chicken Steak”, And she had plain rice but she loved the gravy!
Below is the recipe…
Fried Chicken Steak and Fried Chicken
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- Minola Coconut Oil for deep frying
- 8 chicken pieces
- 1 chicken breast, deboned and sliced into steak
- In a plate, combine flour, salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Mix well.
- Dredge chicken pieces and chicken steak in flour mixture and set aside.
- In a wok, heat enough Minola Coconut Oil for deep frying.
- Fry chicken pieces and chicken steak one by one until golden brown.
- Serve with Minola Margarine Gravy (recipe below), caramelized white onions, and steamed rice with green peas.
Minola Margarine Gravy
- 2 tbsp Minola Margarine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chicken cube
- 2 tbsp flour
- 21/2 cups water
- In a small pan, heat Minola Margarine.
- Add garlic and let cook for about a minute.
- Add chicken cube and flour and mix until it forms roux.
- Pour in water and bring to a boil.
- Serve with fried chicken and chicken steak above