Bangus En Totcho, or simply Totchong Bangus, is something I never EVER thought I’d crave for nor something I’d miss. I guess my tastebuds are kinda maturing and I am now craving old Filipino recipes from the back of my head.
For those of you who are not familiar, Bangus En Totcho is as old Filipino dish that is made with milkfish, fermented tofu (tahure), and black beans (tausi).
My mother used to cook Bangus En Totcho from time to time when I was a child. And to be honest, it’s one of those viands I dreaded seeing on our lunch table. I hated the taste of fermented tofu. But like I said earlier, my tastebuds have matured by now — and I now love this dish which I used to hate.
Bangus En Totcho (Milkfish in Fermented Tofu)
- 1 boneless bangus, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 pcs tahure (fermented tofu)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small knob of ginger, sliced
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tausi (black beans)
- cooking oil for frying
- In a small bowl, Mash tahure, add vinegar and water.Set aside.
- Fry milkfish (bangus) in hot oil until golden brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- In another pan, sauté garlic, then add ginger, onions, and tomatoes.
- Sauté until onions are translucent then pour in tahure mixture and tausi (black beans).
- Bring it to a boil, then add fried milkfish (bangus).
- Simmer for about five minutes.
- Turn off heat and serve Bangus En Totcho with steamed rice.
I’m just reclaiming my Filipino heritage and I’m really interested in traditional dishes like this. I’ve actually never even heard of totcho or tahure before – thanks for educating me!
Thanks for dropping by Jane!
I have never tried Filupino food. It looks great! I probably would have someone make it for me first before I tried to male it. Looks like a great recipe!
Lutong tausi smen yn,gnyn ang luto Ng aking ima ( Lola)
Mas pinasarap ang bangus ma. Grabe naman nakakagutom. Sarap ng mga recipe nyo mommy peach
Hate ko po ang bangus ksi po matinik lalo kapag ang luto sinabawan hehehehhe kung boneless po okey sakin 💞 hindi pa po ako nakakain ng ganitong luto po 😊 thnks po sa pgshare ng recipe😇