Hainanese Chicken Rice, a classic Singaporean dish made easier by using Prima Taste Sauce Kit.
This just reminded me that I should have a cleaver in my kitchen. I almost end up with smashed chicken trying to chop it with a kitchen knife. Good thing I still have the wits to leave this leg alone or else I won’t have something to show that I made an easy Hainanese Chicken Rice for dinner the other day. It was a great exercise though. Hacking into this chicken made me realize that I’ve been stressed and that I should release it. So I chopped away..hack, hack, hack…and wound up with small chicken pieces. It’s a good thing my family loves small chicken pieces…
I’ve been a bit inspired lately because I can finally do all the things that I do regularly. I just have to be wise about it and plan my day according to Twinkle’s sleep routine and Ykaie’ school schedule. I attempted to make a meal plan last week but failed miserably in following it. There are days when time is too short, ingredients are not complete, I’m too tired to cook, or I’ve unleashed my inner dragon and ate everything edible in sight.
Thanks to our nice friends from Prima Taste for sending out these ready made sauce kits. These are real kitchen helpers because these help us mommies save time and cook delicious meals as well.
First I tried out is the Hainanese Chicken Rice. The pack consists of:
- Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil
- Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix
- Sesame Soya Sauce Oil
- Chicken Rice 3-in-1 Sauces (Chilli Sauce / Chicken Rice Ginger Sauce / Chicken Rice Dark Soya Sauce)
- Recipe/ Direction on how to cook using the sauce packets. This is the recipe listed below.
My verdict? Well, the result is delicious and flavorful Hainanese Chicken Rice. Our kitchen smelled like a Singaporean restaurant the night this was dinner.
If you simply don’t have the time and are looking for an easy way to make this dish, Prima Taste Ready Made Sauce Kit is the answer.
I prefer homemade Ginger Sauce, though.Print
Hainanese Chicken Rice Using Prima Taste Sauce Kit
- Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix **
- Whole chicken
- Long grain rice (we recommend Thai long grain rice)
- Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil **
- 2.5 litres Water
- 1 pkt Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix **
- 1.2 – 1.5 kg Whole chicken
- 500 g Long grain rice (we recommend Thai long grain rice)
- 1 pkt Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil **
- 610 ml Chicken stock (for Step 3)
- Sesame Soya Sauce Oil **
- Chilli Sauce **
- Chicken Rice Ginger Sauce **
- Chicken Rice Dark Soya Sauce **
- Coriander leaves
Suggested Soup Garnish
- Soft bean curd (tofu)
- Lettuce (shredded)
- Coriander leaves
- Spring onion
** Included in Prima Taste pack
To Cook Chicken and Stock
- To cook chicken stock, fill stock pot with 2.5 litres water, add Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix and bring to boil on high heat. Submerge chicken into the stock with its back facing up. Lower heat and simmer for approx 30 mins.
- Remove chicken from stock and chill in ice water for 15 mins. Drain well, set aside chicken and chicken stock.
To Cook Rice
- Mix rice, 610 ml chicken stock(from Step 2) and Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil in rice cooker.
- Stir rice gently after 5 mins and continue cooking. When cooked, fluff rice gently with chopsticks (while loosening rice, avoid the bottom of the rice cooker). Leave at ‘Keep Warm’ setting for 10 – 15 mins.
- Put whole packet of Sesame Soya Sauce Oil packet in a pot of boiling water and boil for 2 mins. Remove from heat, cut open packet and pour into a bowl. Set aside at room temperature.
- Chop chicken into parts. Arrange on platter, over a bed of sliced cucumber. Pour Sesame Soya Sauce Oil over the chicken and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with warm rice. In separate condiment bowls, serve Chilli Sauce, Chicken Rice Ginger Sauce and Chicken Rice Dark Soya Sauce as dips.
These are the other Prima Taste products that were sent to me:
Mee Reebus and Laksa Ready Made Sauce Kits
Curry, Laksa, and Chili Crab Premium Instant Noodles
Now which one should I try next?