Hainanese Chicken Rice, a classic Singaporean dish made easier by using Prima Taste Sauce Kit.
This just reminded me that I should have a cleaver in my kitchen. I almost end up with smashed chicken trying to chop it with a kitchen knife. Good thing I still have the wits to leave this leg alone or else I won’t have something to show that I made an easy Hainanese Chicken Rice for dinner the other day. It was a great exercise though. Hacking into this chicken made me realize that I’ve been stressed and that I should release it. So I chopped away..hack, hack, hack…and wound up with small chicken pieces. It’s a good thing my family loves small chicken pieces…
I’ve been a bit inspired lately because I can finally do all the things that I do regularly. I just have to be wise about it and plan my day according to Twinkle’s sleep routine and Ykaie’ school schedule. I attempted to make a meal plan last week but failed miserably in following it. There are days when time is too short, ingredients are not complete, I’m too tired to cook, or I’ve unleashed my inner dragon and ate everything edible in sight.
Thanks to our nice friends from Prima Taste for sending out these ready made sauce kits. These are real kitchen helpers because these help us mommies save time and cook delicious meals as well.
First I tried out is the Hainanese Chicken Rice. The pack consists of:
- Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil
- Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix
- Sesame Soya Sauce Oil
- Chicken Rice 3-in-1 Sauces (Chilli Sauce / Chicken Rice Ginger Sauce / Chicken Rice Dark Soya Sauce)
- Recipe/ Direction on how to cook using the sauce packets. This is the recipe listed below.
My verdict? Well, the result is delicious and flavorful Hainanese Chicken Rice. Our kitchen smelled like a Singaporean restaurant the night this was dinner.
If you simply don’t have the time and are looking for an easy way to make this dish, Prima Taste Ready Made Sauce Kit is the answer.
I prefer homemade Ginger Sauce, though.Print
Hainanese Chicken Rice Using Prima Taste Sauce Kit
- Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix **
- Whole chicken
- Long grain rice (we recommend Thai long grain rice)
- Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil **
- 2.5 litres Water
- 1 pkt Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix **
- 1.2 – 1.5 kg Whole chicken
- 500 g Long grain rice (we recommend Thai long grain rice)
- 1 pkt Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil **
- 610 ml Chicken stock (for Step 3)
- Sesame Soya Sauce Oil **
- Chilli Sauce **
- Chicken Rice Ginger Sauce **
- Chicken Rice Dark Soya Sauce **
- Coriander leaves
Suggested Soup Garnish
- Soft bean curd (tofu)
- Lettuce (shredded)
- Coriander leaves
- Spring onion
** Included in Prima Taste pack
To Cook Chicken and Stock
- To cook chicken stock, fill stock pot with 2.5 litres water, add Hainanese Chicken Rice Premix and bring to boil on high heat. Submerge chicken into the stock with its back facing up. Lower heat and simmer for approx 30 mins.
- Remove chicken from stock and chill in ice water for 15 mins. Drain well, set aside chicken and chicken stock.
To Cook Rice
- Mix rice, 610 ml chicken stock(from Step 2) and Hainanese Chicken Rice Fragrance Oil in rice cooker.
- Stir rice gently after 5 mins and continue cooking. When cooked, fluff rice gently with chopsticks (while loosening rice, avoid the bottom of the rice cooker). Leave at ‘Keep Warm’ setting for 10 – 15 mins.
- Put whole packet of Sesame Soya Sauce Oil packet in a pot of boiling water and boil for 2 mins. Remove from heat, cut open packet and pour into a bowl. Set aside at room temperature.
- Chop chicken into parts. Arrange on platter, over a bed of sliced cucumber. Pour Sesame Soya Sauce Oil over the chicken and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with warm rice. In separate condiment bowls, serve Chilli Sauce, Chicken Rice Ginger Sauce and Chicken Rice Dark Soya Sauce as dips.
These are the other Prima Taste products that were sent to me:
Mee Reebus and Laksa Ready Made Sauce Kits
Curry, Laksa, and Chili Crab Premium Instant Noodles
Now which one should I try next?
It’s nice having some convenience items on hand, isn’t it? Sometimes there’s just no time to really cook. This looks great! Thanks so much.
True. Thanks to these sauce mixes
I love Hainanese Chicken Rice! I’ve never tried making it on my own, though. I have to try these sauces.
These sauces makes it easier.
the Chicken looks really good, and delicious! Its always nice to have semi-homemade items, truly offers convenient.
yeah, thanks Melgie!
Damn delicious n stunning photogrpah!!!
You’ve got killer photography and plating skills! I feel like I’ve just peeked into a cookbook. I’m going to try one of the kits; there are days when I really want a meal, but am too tired to try it.
Yum! Hainanese chicken is a family favourite. Thank you for sharing this recipe; I really need to try it!
Oh I’m sure you’ll love it.
I love Asian food so I will look out for this. Never thought of making my own sauce so I am saving your recipe for future use.
This looks like the perfect dinner for my family. I love making semi-homemade meals. Your Hainanese Chicken and rice looks delicious.
oh this looks sooo gourmet i love it. you did an awesome job on the presentation and the photos. i will have to try brand.
Thanks Dawn. You simply must try this. It’s the best.
I like to keep things like this on hand to boost my dinners along, especially on busy weeknights. .
It’s true. Ready made mixes and sauces do help us a lot.
This looks absolutely delicious! I love chicken.
This dish looks so delicious. It’s actually making me hungry right now. I can’t wait to try this recipe this weekend. I think the whole family will love it.
This looks so good! I might have to grab a bag for dinner! My son loves rice!
Thanks! I’m sure he would love this.
I have never had food from Singapore before but I’ve seen the numerous recipes. Now this is one I would love to try especially since we just love chicken.
Oh I’m sure you’d love this!
Your Hainanese Chicken looks even tastier than those I see in Singapore. This would really make a great meal.
I have never made this recipe for chicken – I will have to try it out – my son LOVES anything Asian food related!
I’m sure he would love this.
I love chicken and this looks like a great new recipe to try!! Great job!!
I love, love, love hainanese chicken rice! That looks like a more convenient ways to get your favourite meals ready.
Same here and yes, this is one of the easiest way.
The Chili Crab sounds like a really good one. I would totally go for that one next.
Hmmn.. that’s a great choice!
I love trying new food but I’m not much a cook lol. Maybe I can get my guy to make this for me because it looks really yummy!
You just have to try this one!
This looks delicious and I love the plating arrangement. Where did you get those chopsticks??
Bought it from the department store… Thanks Adrienne
It looks fantastic! I’d like to try your recipe! So glad you shared it.
Looks yummy! Although I prefer not using ready made sauces but this will come in handy when you have limited time to whip up food for the fam bam
It’s true. sometimes you just have to…
With all the food coming from your kitchen, I wanna be invited there and enjoy. Hehe. You really inspire me to serve good food to my family. Thanks.
oh my! Thank Berlin! your comment inspires me more…
This looks good.Too bad my husband is allerguc to chicken.
This looks delicious. I need to try Hainanese Chicken, we always have chicken one way, my family needs a change.
I’m sure you’d love this one.
My husband loves Hainanese! This will come in handy when I run out of recipe ideas. I try my best to steer away from shortcuts, but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do 🙂
It looks delicious and I would love to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!!
Parang gusto ko bilhin lahat hahaha.
ay naku, I’m sure magugustuhan mo lahat!
Another recipe!! Thank you for this. Looks delicious. Husband will definitely like this one. Sana magkaroon na ng time for more cooking! Hihi
I’m sure you’d love it!
I’ve never tried hainanese chicken rice but it looks and sounds incredible! I am definitely going to make this for my family. Thank you for sharing
you’re welcome Alyssa!
i’ve never been a fan of Hainanese but will try this for the family hehe.
I think you’ll love it.