You won’t miss your pasta with this low carb, gluten-free, low fat Eggplant Lasagna! It’s all delicious minus the carbs and the red meat…
So I love Lasagna and I was craving for pasta because of this low carb, low sugar, low fat diet. I had to remind myself that I had a goal and it is to regain my health and the balance in my life. So instead of giving in to cravings which I absolutely swore I wouldn’t do, I decided to make this wonderful noodle-less Eggplant Lasagna with Chicken Meat Sauce to satisfy my cravings.
Lo and behold! It didn’t just satisfy my cravings… it awakened my tastebuds as to how delicious healthy can be!It was so flavorful that even Ykaie loved it and peanutbutter♥ thought I used beef in the sauce!
Instead of lasagna noodles, I used sliced eggplants which I roasted in the oven for about 7-10 minutes to dry it out a bit.
Then layered it in a baking pan with the chicken meat sauce, cottage cheese mixture, and low fat mozzarella cheese. Oh gosh, if you could only smell the kitchen while this was baking, you wouldn’t think I’m making something healthy. Ykaie said it smells like the pizza at S&R…LOL!
And she couldn’t wait to have a taste!
I was going to make homemade marinara sauce for this recipe but I remembered that Steve Schirripa (Anthony of my favorite series Blue Bloods!) sent me some of his Uncle Steve’s Italian Specialties Sauces sometime in December. I decided to use it for this recipe because I so wanted to try it for the longest time. But don’t worry, I also left the recipe for homemade marinara sauce below.
Let me tell you a bit about Uncle Steve’s Italian Specialties. It’s Steve Schirripa’s recipe that he inherited from his grandmother. The sauces tastes so wonderfully homemade. It feels like waking up in an Italian household with the sauce simmering on the stove and you can smell the aroma of tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil in the air.
It comes in three variants: Marinara Sauce, Tomato Basil Saucce, and Arrabiata Sauce.
It’s gluten, dairy, egg, and soy free. AND It fits any special diet as Uncle Steve’s is suitable for vegan, vegetarian, paleo and organic diet plans. It’s certified kosher and organic too!
I love it!! Now I just wish they would go international because I don’t know where to buy it here in the Philippines.
Thank you Steve Schirripa!!!!
Such a wonderful recipe that will surely be a permanent here in our household. I really hope you try this recipe ’cause I’m sure you’ll really really love it.
It’s only the beginning of my low carb, low sugar, low fat journey and I must say that I’m enjoying cooking new and healthy recipes for me and my family.
♥ If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and tag @thepeachkitchen on Instagram (OR hashtag it #thepeachkitchen). I’d love to see what you cook!Print
Low-Carb Eggplant Lasagna with Chicken Meat Sauce
- 3 eggplants, sliced thinly
- olive oil spray or 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250g ground chicken
- 2 cups store-bought Marinara sauce or homemade Marinara sauce (recipe below), I used Uncle Steve’s
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese/ cream cheese (Or cottage cheese, if you want it low fat)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
- Slice eggplant in about 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place sliced eggplant on large baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray or greased with 1 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven for 7-10minutes to help dry out the eggplant a bit.
- Allow eggplant to cool and make your sauce.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan, sauté ground chicken until brown. Pour in marinara sauce. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Mix together the ricotta (cottage cheese), parmesan, and egg in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Then assemble your lasagna. In a large heat safe pan, place a thin layer of sauce on the bottom and distribute evenly. Place a single layer of eggplant on top of the sauce and add 1/2 of your ricotta (cottage) cheese mixture. Sprinkle ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Then add another single layer of eggplant, chicken meat sauce, ricotta (cottage cheese) mixture, and mozzarella. Repeat the process creating 3 layers of “Lasagna” in total with the top being a thin layer of sauce with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 375ºF (190ºC) for 18 – 22 mins until cooked through and cheese is bubbly.
- Serve it with a side salad.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can diced tomato/ crushed tomato
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- Sauté garlic in heated oil until brown
- Pour in diced tomato/ crushed tomato.
- Simmer for 30 seconds over low heat.
- Add basil, oregano, salt and sugar.
- Stir and simmer for a few seconds.
- Turn off heat and use as spaghetti sauce or dip.
That looks decadent with all the cheese!
What a great dish! Love the low carbs but still filling and tasty.
I haven’t made Eggplant Lasagna in years! I need to make your recipe ASAP. It looks delicious and I know my family will absolutely love this dish. Definitely pinning this recipe!
Pwedeng pwede SA aking ina ❤️
I love Eggplant Lasagna but have never made it myself…LOL!! This recipe looks amazing, I need to try it!!
That sounds really tasty! My kids are big fans of meals like this, so I know they will love it.
This reminds me of some greek dishes I make using eggplant. Makes for a wonderful tasting dish and sometimes you really don’t even need any meat in the sauce.
I love that your substituted lasagna sheets with eggplants, this recipe has so much flavour and looks utterly delicious and healthy
I LOVE the idea of using eggplant instead of pasta! I’m only supposed to have so many carbs a day and they add up fast. Will definitely be trying this one!
This looks so freaking delicious. I am totally going to make this for sure. I love the idea of the eggplant instead of the carbs, this sounds so healthy and yummy! Thanks for sharing!
Oh my, that Low-Carb Eggplant Lasagna with Chicken Meat Sauce looks AMAZING! I’ve recently been craving eggplant (odd, I know) so I’ll definitely have to try this recipe out soon.
Amazing recipe! I never tried cooking eggplants this way and I am excited to try this recipe myself. I love all the kinds of cheeses you used. That alone is a big plus! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will have to look for those Uncle Steve’s sauces too. I wonder if they have it here in our local stores.
This looks like a delicious twist to the basic lasagna recipe. The eggplants are a healthy substitute for the pasta. I can’t wait to make this. The Uncle Steve sauces look delicious too. I hope I find them in the store. If I don’t, then I will use your marinara recipe. 🙂
This looks very yummy and I want it in my tummy. Bookmarking this page so I can make it later on 🙂
I thought when i was younger i hate eggplant but now I love it. This looks like a simple but really good dinner recipe.
That looks amazing! I know my family will love it!
This looks so good. I love Eggplant Parmesan, and this looks awful close. I have never tried chicken in my red sauce, but I have heard it is very good. I need to give this recipe a try.
Looks like a great recipe using eggplant. I will substitute veg ingredients and try this out at home. I am sure it will come out well.
Yum! I have never had eggplant lasagna, it does sound delicious! I know my family would like to try this, thanks for the idea!
You have no idea how much I love eggplant and the cheese, yum! I’ll be bookmarking this one.
Great recipe! My husband loves eggplants, can’t wait to try this! I love low carb recipes too!
Those sauces look tasty! I’m going to have to find them now!
Hi Peach, Wow! This looks good! I think with this recipe I could finally convince my hubby to like eggplants! Thanks for sharing! And I love your baking dish, I have the exact same thing, I brought them from Phils to Germany…LOL!
Thanks for dropping by Bebs!
It looks so yammy. Thanks! Now I know what to cook for my next dinner.