Callos is a Filipino-Spanish stew made with ox tripe, ox feet, and chorizo. I remember my nanay cooking the most delicious Callos I’ve tried in my whole life. Maybe that’s the reason why I’m so intimidated in cooking this. Pero finally, nag-crave ako… and of course, I don’t wanna buy. I want to try and cook it myself.
I only used 500g ox tripe because I thought I should cook only a small amount since first time ko to cook it. That’s why I call this my easy Callos recipe.. hihihi
WATCH THIS EASY CALLOS RECIPE VIDEO
Guess what? Even if it’s my first time to cook this, my family loved it. I’m gonna try and cook this again and next time — I’ll add ox feet. I bet mas flavorful!
- If you’re using a pot to tenderize the ox tripe, simmer it for 2 hrs. If using a pressure cooker, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- For this recipe, I used ginger to remove the odor of the tripe. Next time, I’m going to use ginger and vinegar, simmer the tripe for 10 minutes, throw the water away and simmer it again. Then I will use the water it was simmered in as stock for the Callos.
- I used Chorizo de Bilbao for this recipe, next time I’ll use a different Spanish Chorizo.
- 500g ox tripe
- 1 thumb size ginger salt
- water for boiling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 thick bacon slice, cut into small pieces
- 2 chorizo de bilbao, sliced
- 1 pack tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 beef cube
- 1 carrot, cut into cubes
- 1 can garbanzos (chickpeas)
- red bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup olives (I used black and green)
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a pot or a pressure cooker, tenderize the ox tripe along with the water and ginger to remove the odor.
- Drain and cut the tripe into bite size pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a pot. Fry the bacon until brown and fragrant.
- Add the garlic and onion and sauté the until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tripe and chorizo de bilbao, and mix well.
- Add the tomato paste, water, and beef cube.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garbanzos, bell pepper, and carrots. Simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Add the olives.
- Season with salt and pepper and sugar to taste.
- Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Serve with steamed rice.