I declare September as my vegetable month.
You know, that month when I promise that most of the food that I’ll be cooking has vegetables in them.
I had a mental health check these past few days.. and I know most of what I’ve been eating are very unhealthy.
I need to change that.
But don’t get me wrong, I won’t give up my chocolates, cookies, cakes and deep fried pork bellies.
It’s just that I guess I need to eat less of them now..
I think Zucchini Chocolate Cake sprung from this kind of state of mind, hee.
Have your cake, your chocolate and your vegetable in one dish… LOL!
I’ll probably try making one a few days from now…
This recipe is a great recipe for South Beach Diet phase 1 because it’s low fat and it has no carbs. It’s also nice to make even if you’re not on SBD because it tastes great. The original recipe called for snow peas and scallions but I saw some good-looking sweet peas and I want to check out what’s the difference.
..and you know what? THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!
Ginger Chicken and Sweet Pea Salad
250g sweet peas, strings removed
1 tbsp plus 2 tbsp canola oil, divided
1 tbsp plus 1 tbsp soy sauce, divided
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
400g chicken thigh fillets
2 tsp dark sesame oil
- Bring medium saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Fill a medium mixing bowl with ice and water.
- Boil sweet peas for 2 minutes,drain,place in ice water for 1 minute to chill.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Combine 2 tsp of the canola oil, 1 tbsp of the sot sauce, and ginger in a shallow bowl.
- Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Heat remaining canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook until golden and no longer pink inside,5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to cutting board and slice.
- Combine peas, sesame oil and remaining soy sauce in a mixing bowl: toss together.
- Serve pea salad with chicken.