A celebration isn’t a celebration until there’s a big plate of sweet spaghetti in the middle of the table.
A picnic isn’t a picnic until you bring out that tupperware of spaghetti lurking inside that bayong full of baon.
And it’s a must on every children’s party, alongside those hotdog-marshmallows skewers, fried chicken and ice cream.
I’m taking a break from my Halloween recipes to give you this month’s Kulinarya Cooking Club Challenge: the sweet and delicious Filipino-Style Spaghetti.
Filipino-Style Spaghetti is made of mostly red ingredients like tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce, banana ketchup, red hotdogs and ground pork or beef. Maybe that’s what makes it so appetizing, the color of it’s ingredients all plastered in the divine whiteness of the noodles.
I prefer my spaghetti noodles submerged into the sauce, almost like soup. It may sound icky to you..but to me it’s heaven.
Even if we eat out and order at say, Jollibee, when I couldn’t cook and a Pinoy-spaghetti fix is needed, I blatantly but politely ask for extra sauce.
A little trivia: my daughter doesn’t eat this type of spaghetti sauce. She eats pesto, white sauce and oil based sauces. I make her eat a spoonful whenever we have it for her to learn to appreciate this over time.
Notice the heart-shaped strawberry marshmallow, peanutbutter♥?
Today, in line with this KCC challenge, I made this Spaghetti complete with the hotdog-marshmallow skewer because I am celebrating something. peanubutter♥ told me last night that he passed the supervisor exam at work. I knew he could do it but he needed a push ’cause he was a bit reluctant to apply. I gave him a shove *wink*.
There’s still an interview coming up and I’ll be praying for it fervently but right now let’s keep our mind on this small celebration.
- 300g Spaghetti Noodles
- 200g ground beef
- 5 pcs hotdogs, sliced
- 1 pack Spaghetti Sauce/Tomato Sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ banana ketchup
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- grated cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Set aside.
- Fry sliced hotdogs for a round 2 minutes, the set aside.
- Heat oil in a small sauce pan. Sauté onions until it becomes translucent.
- Add ground beef and sauté with oinion until brownish.
- Pour in water and let beef simmer for a minute.
- Pour in Spaghetti sauce/Tomato sauce and banana ketchup.
- Mix well. Add hot dog, sugar and salt.
- Simmer for a few minutes before turning off heat.
- Put spaghetti noodles on a plate. Pour sauce on top of spaghetti then put grated cheese on top.
- Serve with hotdog-marshmallow skewers.
This is my entry for October Challenge.
Kulinarya Cooking Club is a group of Filipino foodies around the world, united by their passion about the Filipino culture and its colourful cuisine.
Each month we will showcase a new dish along with their family recipes. By sharing these recipes, we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino Food as we do.
3,475 total views, 34 views today