Bouillabaisse is a traditional Provençal fish stew originating from the port city of Marseille, France.
This is the recipe from the culinary demonstration at the Discover Cuisine Event.
- 1 pc Lapu lapu (1 kg)
- 1 pc Red Snapper (1 kg)
- 0.3 kg Squid (big)
- 2 pc Shrimp (big)
- 10 pcs Clam (big)
- 10 Black peppercorns
- 1 br Dry Fennel
- 2 L Fish Soup
- 10 Saffron Pistils
- 2 pcs Garlic Clove
- 1 pinch Orange Zest
- 1 pc Small Bayleaf
- 1/4 pc Baguette
- Soup (1-1.5L)
- 1.5 kg Small fish
- 1 pc Sweet Onions (50g)
- 4 pcs Tomatoes
- 1 pc Garlic Head
- 1 t Fennel seeds
- 10 pcs Black peppercorns
- 1 L Chicken Stock
- Spicy Provencale Sauce
- 1 kg Small Potatoes
- 0.25 L Olive Oil
- 1 pc Garlic Clove
- 0.15 L Fish Soup
- 1 pinch Saffron Pistils
- 4 pcs Sundried Tomato Petals
- 5 g Sweet Pepper
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Preparing the Seafood:
- Scale and clean the fish. Cut off the fins. Remove the head & gills. Cut into 5cm steaks.
- Clean & prepare the squid
- Cook shrimp in boiling water w/ fennel seeds for a few minutes
- Preparing the Fish Soup:
- Peel and slice onions
- Wash tomatoes & cut in six
- Cut the garlic head in half
- Heat up a cocotte with olive oil and sweat onions, fennel seeds, garlic & peppercorns while covered for 10 minutes
- Add the fish. Cook for 5 minutes over low heat without stirring or wetting and always covered.
- Add tomatoes. Press down lightly. Simmer covered for 5 minutes so the fish retain their juices.
- Cover with chicken stock to the same level of the fish. Simmer for another 20 munutes over low heat without cover.
- Strain through Chinois. Set aside.
- Cooking the Bouillabaisse:
- Pour soup into a cocotte then add saffron, four crushed cloves of garlic, orange peels, a bay leaf & 5 grains of black pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Gently poach fish 4-6 minutes depending on the size. Drain the fish and set aside.
- In a sauteuse, place the clams with a little stock and cook covered until they open up. When done, remove the shell without the meat and set aside.
- Remove soup from heat; strain.
- Sear squid quickly with olive oil and season with salt. Set aside.
- Return and reheat all the seafood in the soup.
- Preparation of the Provencale Sauce:
- Peel and cut the potatoes into four pieces. Cook them in the fish soup with the saffron and Espelette spices until they are completely soft and juice is reduced.
- Peel the garlic clove. Crush it in a mortar.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and crush it all together.
- Add the potatoes and its cooking juices. Mix well and grind again.
- In this paste, add the egg yolk. Mix well. Salt.
- Whisk in the oil with the paste until it reaches a mayonnaise-like thick texture. Set aside.
- Serve in a small bowl.
- Finishing and presentation:
- Slice the bread at an angle into 5mm thick slices. Toast them. Rub with garlic on one side.
- Add the soup base ina large soup pan.
- Arrange the seafood.
- Pour the rest of the soup in a soup tureen.
- Serve the croutons.
- Serve the provencale sauce on the side.
We spent 2 hours watching how twas carefully prepared. I love french recipes, the art and Enderun’s passion for food prep. Let enroll???!!!!
RomepediaGest to Utopia
if you did this, then i am bound to ask my next question: “mahal ba professional fee mo, Peach?” hehehe.
Bouillabaisse is a traditional fish recipe. It looking so nice and it is a non-vegetarian recipe. I like that finishing and presentation. It is really very nice and impressive.
I’m not usually a big fan of fish, but this actually looks like a very nice seafood dish!
Thats a pretty amazing looking seafood dish! The squid looks very tempting. Nice work.