This month of love and strawberries, I can’t help but feel very very blessed. God has not only given me the sweetest husband, he even included the sweetest Parents-In-Law along with him.
My Parents-In-Law went to Baguio for the Panagbenga Festival last weekend and when they came back here in Manila, they brought really yummy pasalubongs for us. They got my favorite Ube Jam from Good Shepherd, two kinds of lettuces, Romana Peanut Brittle, and a big basket of strawberries — plus a small one for Ykaie. Yes, that’s the basket you see right there in the photo. Ykaie got her own basket of strawberries. Thank you Mama Lucy and Papa Sony!
And I thought I was done with my strawberry recipes for this month after the Strawberry Spare Ribs , ha! Who am I kidding?
That big basket of strawberries I was talking about was really big. In order for me to preserve my strawberries, I immediately hulled all of them. Half, I tucked in the freezer to use in smoothies later. One-fourth, I added to my fruit-bowl-yogurt-chia-seeds breakfast. One-eighth went into fresh snacking and Ykaie’s lunch box. The last one-eighth went into these Almond Butter & Strawberry Jam French Toast on a Stick. Whew!
I am a big PB&J fan and I’m one of those quirky moms who seem to have a collection of sticks at home for quick skewering. I also happen to love anything skewered and of course, Ykaie adores food-on-a-stick. I have a win-win situation when it comes to these things. However, I have yet to try combining almond butter and jam. I know, I know it’s kind of the same as PB & J but not according to my little princess.
Well, not until this french toast….. Ykaie and her playmates loved it!
I buy this brand of almond butter, the creamy Maranatha All Natural Roasted Almond Butter. I got this big jar for only ₱350 at S&R — it is such a steal considering the price for a smaller jar at the mall which costs ₱700.
What I love about this is that it’s not sweet at all and since I used a strawberry jam that is also not too sweet, the sweetness came only from the fresh strawberries and the maple syrup that was drizzled over it.
Try this out for breakfast one of these days. I guarantee you won’t regret it.I will get back to browsing over the net now.
Thanks for visiting today. I’m so glad you’re here.
- 4 slices wheat bread
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp strawberry preserves
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter
- maple syrup
- ½ cup fresh strawberries halved
- Spread almond butter evenly on two slices of wheat bread
- Spread strawberry preserves on the other two slices of wheat bread.
- Place one of the bread on top of the other, filling side in, to make am AB&J sandwich.
- In a shallow bowl beat the egg.
- Pour in milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Dip sandwiches into the egg mixture. Make sure both sides are soaked well.
- Heat butter in a non-stick skillet.
- Cook the sandwiches for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cut into small squares.
- Skewer into a stick and alternate with halved strawberries.
- Drizzle with maple syrup before serving.