I’m not entirely familiar with beer and food pairings but I discovered an appreciation for it when I attended the recently concluded Ultimate Taste Test 2015.
It was sponsored by San Miguel Lifestyle Brews, San Miguel’s finest beers crafted with the choicest ingredients and brewed in small batches. It is composed of three beers namely San Miguel Premium All Malt, San Miguel Super Dry, and Cerveza Negra.
Like what I’ve said before, beer and food pairing is new to me. And because of my newfound love and appreciation for it, I’ve decided to explore it further by having my own beer pairings at home. Isn’t it exciting?
To get the ball rolling, I’m starting with San Miguel Premium All Malt.
According to the website, San Miguel Premium All Malt is a brew that is truly meant for those who enjoy the finer things in life. After all, its malty aroma and pleasant hop notes come from a harmonious blend of hops and carefully selected pilsen malt picked from world-class farms in Europe, Australia, and North America resulting in a smooth, full-flavored, slightly sweetish, golden, premium lager with balanced bitterness.
For my inexperienced palate, I find it less bitter than regular beer and has a malty flavor. I guess these qualities are what makes it perfect to pair with seafood or white meats like chicken.
Today, I paired it with creamy Mussels and Fries. The mussels are simmered in garlic and cream. Then curry powder is added to provide a little depth in flavor. The french fries is there to satisfy the craving for something salty and starchy — more of like a savory ending to a perfect pairing.
Call a friend. Pull up a chair. Spread some old newspaper. Don’t worry about making a mess of the shells….. then have the best conversation you haven’t had for a long time. Gossip, laugh, be silly.
The creamy flavor of the sea paired with San Miguel Premium All Malt is simply captivating.
- 1Kg Mussels, cleaned and beards removed
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup light cream or ⅔ cup all purpose cream + ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- you can use ready made fries from the grocery or 3 pieces potatoes, clean and cut
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a pot and sauté garlic and onions until onion become translucent.
- Add cream and curry powder. Stir and bring to a boil.
- If the sauce is too thick, you can add milk to thin it out.
- Add mussels and cook/simmer for 5 minutes or until mussels open.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry potatoes/frozen fries until golden brown
- season with salt
- Serve with San Miguel Premium All Malt Beer