I didn’t know if it was my love for coffee and all things dark that made me chose Cerveza Negra to be my beer when I attended the last Ultimate Taste Test 2015. But I’m glad I did because that’s when I found out that this beer is best paired with… drumroll please….. DESSERTS!
I enjoyed the beer pairing immensely that day, specially because I have such a sweet tooth.
It’s not as crisp and aromatic as San Miguel Super Dry nor is it as malty and less bitter like San Miguel Premium All Malt. Instead, it opens up your tastebuds in the perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness.
Yes, Cerveza Negra has this sweet undertones that makes it perfect with desserts. It is a full-bodied, dark lager with rich caramel tones made from roasted pilsen malt from Europe and other top quality ingredients. Aside from the right balance of bitterness and sweetness, it also boasts of a creamy, frothy head which can seduce you into soaking up its flavors upon first sip.
This beer is perfect especially in this season of indulgence and dessert.
It was my first time to try and bake this Maple Pecan Pie. Unfortunately, my oven broke and I had to stop in the middle of my baking and transfer this to the house across the street, which is my parents house. I’m not used to their oven and I got my pie a little burnt on top. It was okay on the inside, though.
Maple Pecan Pie is one of the superb confection you can pair with Cerveza Negra. The nuttiness of the pecans cuts through with the beer’s sweetness while the maple syrup compliments its bitterness. I ate a slice of this Maple Pecan Pie with a bottle of Cerveza Negra. I found out that the more pie and beer I eat and drink, the more I was kept wanting. Oh, this beer is for the bold and daring!
I hope the oven repairman comes in next week. I have to perfect this Maple Pecan Pie so I can include it in our New Year Spread.
Maple Pecan Pie and Cerveza Negra would be the best way to welcome 2016.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2½ cups flour (plus a few more tablespoons if necessary)
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (177ºC).
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add flour and beat until it forms into a coarse crumb. If the mixture becomes too soft, add a little more flour.
- Press the crust into a baking dish and bake for 12-15 minutes until it becomes slightly puffed.
- For the filling, whisk the eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir in the pecans and pour the mixture over the crust. The filling should not be more than just a light layer of sauce over the crust.
- Return to the oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven when the filling appears mostly set.
- Cool completely and refrigerate overnight before serving.