All of the buttery and garlicky goodness of Salpicao without the meat — Portobello Mushroom Salpicao.
I think I’m turning into a semi-vegetarian. Yeah, I know there isn’t a semi-vegetarian. You have to either be a vegetarian or not. The past four months, I opted for mostly vegetables, chicken, and fish because I need to (you know, hypertension and all). But these days, I notice that majority of my food choices are vegetables. Sometimes with chicken and fish, other times without. Oh, and I’ve come to love vegetarian restaurants too!
I do eat pork or beef too but most of the time just to have a taste or give it a try. Well, I cook them for my family so I don’t think it’s something I’m gonna give up completely.
Yesterday’s brunch, though, was Portobello Mushroom Salpicao. I’ve been craving that buttery, garlicky flavor of Salpicao but I didn’t feel like eating meat. I know portobello mushrooms have that meaty texture plus I have some in the fridge.. Yaaay!
It just went on a hot skillet with some olive oil and fried garlic, I added liquid seasoning and worcestershire sauce, then ended with a bit of butter and more fried garlic on top.
I assembled it on a bowl together with some quinoa and steamed broccoli… Super duper yummy and super duper healthy.Print
Portobello Mushroom Salpicao
- 300g portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp liquid seasoning
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick pan or a skillet and fry the finely chopped 8 cloves garlic until brown, remove and transfer half to a small plate..set aside for later.
- Add sliced portobello mushroom and sauté for 30 seconds.Add liquid seasoning and worcestershire sauce.
- The mixture will become saucy because the mushroom will produce some liquid. Simmer for about 1-2 minutes until some of the liquid evaporates.
- Turn off heat and add butter. Mix thoroughly until butter is melted.
- Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with fried garlic.
- OR turn it into a Portobello Mushroom Salpicao Quinoa Bowl by putting in into a bowl with 1/2 cup cooked quinoa and 1 cup steamed broccoli.
♥ If you make this recipe, kindly snap a photo and tag @thepeachkitchen on Instagram (OR hashtag it #thepeachkitchen). I’d love to see what you cook!