One of the dishes that I prepared for Twinkle’s 4th Birthday Pineapple Party is this Hawaiian Barbecue Meatballs. You might be wondering why. Well, aside from loving meatballs, it’s because one, it’s easy to prepare. Two, it fits our pineapple theme. Three, it’s a make ahead meal which means I cooked it at home prior to leaving for Pangasinan and then we just reheated it the next day for the party. And four, it’s tasty and delicious!
Let’s talk about this being easy to prepare. You can use prepared or ready-to-cook meatballs from the supermarket but I’m thinking it wouldn’t taste the same. Syempre, homemade is still the best, right? These ones are made with a combination of ground pork with breadcrumbs (or flour) and egg as a binder, plus onion, salt and pepper to flavor. Then fried to golden to make sure they do not crumble in the sauce. You can also bake them for a healthier take but frying makes them juicier because it sears in those meat juices we love.
While frying the meatballs, I quickly make the sauce by combining the pineapple chunks (+ the syrup), barbecue sauce, and a little bit of water. When the meatballs are done, in they go with the sauce and then it’s simmered to until all those hawaiian barbecue flavor seeps inside the meatballs. Then it’s ready to serve.
These meatballs are great alone, on top of rice, or as a sandwich!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LOVE…
Hawaiian Barbecue Meatballs
for the meatballs
- 500g ground pork
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs or flour
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- canola oil for frying
- 1 227g can of pineapple chunks, including light syrup
- Or 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1/2 – 1 cup of water
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the canola oil and mix well. Form into 1½ inch balls and set them on a plate.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan with about 2 tbsp of canola oil and fry the meatballs in two batches until golden on all sides. Set the meatballs aside.
- In a small pot, combine the pineapple chunks, including the syrup, the barbecue sauce, and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well and add all the meatballs in the pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens into your desired consistency. Add the bell pepper and simmer for 30 more seconds
- Turn off heat and transfer to your serving plate or bowl. Garnish with more pineapple on top.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
♥ If you make this recipe, kindly snap a photo and tag @thepeachkitchen on Instagram (OR hashtag it #thepeachkitchen). I’d love to see what you cook!
Meatballs favorite ng kids ko pag ganyan ang ulam namin kelangan madami ako nasaing dahil mapapasarap ang kain ??? thank you po sa procedures how to cook
WOW must try this one mommy thank you for sharing may bagong recip na naman akong pwedeng lutuin na tiyak na magugustuhan nang mga anak ko..Never ko pa kasi na try iluto ito eh meat balls lang fry ang ginagawa ko..
That looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for sharing ♥️ ♥️ Let me know if you are interested in doing collabs! xx
My hubby will surely love this once i try this cool recipe. THANK YOU! ??
super na amaze ako sa set up ng bday mommy and the food talagang swak ang theme. Super juicy naman? gonna make this one soon ?
Healthy and tasty thing to eat.
Glad to know about this dish.
I must appreciate your creativity.
Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe with us.
I have gone through your blog post, nice blog it’s very helpful and I really thankful for you.
I love this sweet Hawaiian sauce with pineapple juice. These meatballs are perfect for summer parties!
This is awesome!! Combined the two best fav things my husband loves: Meat balls and Pineapples. We will try this for sure.
That sounds sounds incredibly flavorful and delicious
Oh this looks like some tbh big my husband would love! I am for sure adding this to next weeks menu.
My mouth is watering just by looking at this picture. The recipe is so detailed. Love this post!
Would love to try this too,,mommy.. Nakakataka