To be honest, I haven’t seen fresh danggit from the market until now… or maybe I just don’t notice. ERRR, or I don’t know what fresh danggit looks like because I am so used to the dry danggit we usually eat?
Anyhoo, peanutbutter♥ is a lot like my tatay in a way that he wants to try out seafood that’s new to him or he hasn’t seen yet. We happen to chance upon fresh danggit in the market — which is a little green in color — and wondered what it was. We were surprised when the vendor told us it was danggit and we quickly bought half a kilo.
WATCH THE VIDEO HERE:
We thought it would be best cooked as pangat — so Pinangat na Danggit it is.
So what is Pinangat or Pangat? There are actually two versions of Pinangat, one is cooked with water and a souring agent and one is cooked with coconut milk. The sour version is what I grew up with, we love cooking shrimp, and other types of fish as pinangat but we only use tomato as the souring agent. Unlike sinigang, though, pinangat doesn’t have much soup.
We used tomato as it’s souring agent and peanutbutter♥ likes it with a bit of soy sauce — like 1 tbsp. Kung ako masusunod, mas gusto ko patis lang.
So how did we like the fresh danggit compared to the dried one?
Well, it was okay. The fish is meaty and bones are minimal but I think I like the dried ones much better because it’s crispy when fried….
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LOVE…
- 500g fresh danggit, washed and cleaned
- 6 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce
- Arrange the tomato slices in a wide pot or pan. Put the fish on top of the tomatoes.
- Pour in the water. Drizzle with fish sauce.
- Cook in medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until fish is cooked through.
- Serve with steamed rice or eat on it's own.
- Don't forget the dipping sauce made of patis and bird's eye chili.
|Amount per serving|
Calories from Fat 54
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
♥ If you make this recipe, kindly snap a photo and tag @thepeachkitchen on Instagram (OR hashtag it #thepeachkitchen). I’d love to see what you cook!